Summer is the perfect time to get outside and have some fun, but the summer heat can be a problem. Listed below are a few tips that can help you stay safe and beat the summer heat.
- The time of day is important – Avoid exercising from 10am to 3pm. It’s the hottest part of the day.
- Wear loose, light colored clothing – The lighter color will help reflect heat, and cotton material will help the evaporation of sweat.
- Wear Sunscreen – You can get burned and suffer sun damage to your skin even on cloudy days.
- Stay hydrated and replenish your electrolyte and salt intake – Make sure to drink water before, during and after your workout. For less than 1 hour of exercise consume water. For more than 1-2 hours of exercise, consume an electrolyte replacement drink.
- Choose shaded trails or pathways– This will help keep you out of the sun.
- Ease into summer –Allow your body to adapt partially to heat through repeated gradual daily exposures.
- Team Up – If you can, exercise with a friend or family member. It’s safer and could be more fun.
Kim Bielenda|Wellness Coordinator
Kapnick Insurance Group|Strength. Knowledge. Direction.
1201 Briarwood Circle | Ann Arbor, MI 48108 |www.kapnick.com
D 734.274.4452 | F 734.994.7326 | P 888.263.4656 x 1143