Toss those store-bought sauces and dressings, and top your foods with homemade (or semi homemade) versions instead. That way, you can control the fat — and perfect the taste. Try this recipe below with or without the steak or substitute chicken, pork, seafood or fish.
Cut down on oil. A homemade (or semi homemade) salad dressing should contain more vinegar, lemon juice, or orange juice than oil to keep calories in check, says registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, LDN, author of The Flexitarian Diet and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. You’ll need to adapt standard recipes, which usually call for more oil. Enjoy!
* 12 ounce(s) beef, flank steak
* 1/2 cup(s) dressing, Italian, reduced calorie
* 1/2 teaspoon lime peel
* 1/4 cup(s) lime juice
* 2 tablespoon cilantro
* 1/4 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black ground
* 6 cup(s) lettuce, mixed greens
* 2 small tomato(es), red or yellow, cut into wedges
* 1 small avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced