For many Americans the 4th of July and summer grilling means hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken. But the grill can also serve up a wide range of healthy, flavorful meals. Break out of typical barbecue territory this summer and try shrimp, pork, vegetables, and even fruit cooked over the fire. Here’s an entree and desert to get you started.
Grilled Garlic-Rosemary Pork Tenderloin
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 28 mins
Rest Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 43 mins
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown, light
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil, olive
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, balsamic
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard, dry
- 2 pounds pork, tenderloin, (1 pound each) trimmed
- cooking spray
Recipe Tip: Marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours. Note: To roast pork in the oven instead of grilling, place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated oven at 450° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155° (slightly pink). Cover with foil; let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove pork from bag, reserving marinade. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill 24 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155° (slightly pink), turning once. Remove pork from grill; cover with foil, and let stand 10 minutes.
- While pork stands, bring marinade to a boil in a small saucepan; boil 1 minute. Serve sauce with pork.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork and 1 tablespoon sauce).
Nutritional Info (Per serving): Calories: 179, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 349mg, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Total Fat: 7.5g, Carbs: 3g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Protein: 23g
Grilled Apples With Cheese and Honey
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 6 mins
Total Time: 16 mins
- 1 large apple, or 2 small tart apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons oil, almond, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, powdered
- 1 ounce cheese, cheddar, sharp, or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons nuts, pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons honey
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Toss apple slices with oil and sugar in a large bowl. Grill the apple slices until just tender and lightly marked, turning once, about 6 minutes total.
- Shave cheese into thin strips with a vegetable peeler. Top the apple slices with a sprinkling of cheese and nuts and drizzle with honey.
Nutritional Info (Per serving): Calories: 250, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 93mg, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Total Fat: 14g, Carbs: 30g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Protein: 5g
Recipe source eatingwell.com