This week is 4th of July and we are gearing up for parties and picnics. In today’s blog, I will give you some tips for having fun but also staying healthy on this holiday weekend.
Healthy 4th of July picnic choices:
• Try organic hotdogs instead of the regular store brand
• Grill out chicken or turkey burgers instead of beef burgers
• Makeover your potato salad with Greek yogurt instead of mayo
• Skip the baked beans (loaded with sugar!) and opt for pinto or black beans
• Fresh fruit – enjoy plenty of it!
• Swap the fried, greasy chips for healthier “baked” potato chips
• Healthier dips: guacamole, salsa and hummus (skip the ranch dressings!)
• Have lots of cut-up vegetables
• Desserts? Make brownies with applesauce, fruit salads with strawberry yogurt, rice cereal treats (low fat), frozen yogurt
You can have a fun and festive 4th of July and enjoy your picnic with a few simple swaps that will save you calories & fat. As always, be active and play games, go for walks and ride bikes!
Maria Hicks|wellness coach
Kapnick Insurance Group|Strength. Knowledge.Direction.
1201 Briarwood Circle | Ann Arbor, MI 48108 | www.kapnick.com
D 734.929.6591 | F 734.994.7326 | P 888.263.4656 x1183