So, thanksgiving is over and Christmas and New Year’s is approaching. This is always a wonderful time of year and also a wonderful time of parties and food and fun! A lot of people I work with (including myself) want to find strategies to maintain – not gain – weight through the holidays!
I don’t expect anyone to try really hard to lose weight through the holidays… that’s not very realistic, but we can do some things to maintain weight (and not gain the average of 5-7 lbs). Sound good? I thought so!
Here are some of my favorite tips for maintaining your weight through the holidays:
- Extra Mini exercise sessions – everyday: 20 push ups, 20 crunches, 20 jumping jacks, 20 squats (repeat 2 times)
- Eat a snack (veggies) BEFORE a holiday party
- Drink 1-2 glasses of WATER before an alcoholic drink
- Holiday buffet: fill your plate ONE time and enjoy your desserts, just pick the 1-2 that you want the most!
- Skip the Dips (and save mega calories) – do your veggies really need ranch? Try hummus instead!
- Are there holiday lights in your neighborhood? Perfect chance to take nightly walks to see the lights!
- Holiday baking? Use applesauce instead of oils!
- Try to maintain your sleep schedule and find ways to relax during the holidays. Stressful holidays can cause weight gain and over-eating. Relax, breathe, exercise…