12 Superfoods for Weight Loss
The right foods can help you slim down (or maintain your weight) by increasing your calorie burn and curbing cravings. These foods will also pack your body with the nutrition it needs to lower cholesterol and blood pressure and prevent conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and dementia.
- Salmon. This fish is bursting with omega-3 fatty acids, which helps burn fat.
- Avocado. This source of healthy monounsaturated fat controls hunger and lowers dangerous LDL cholesterol.
- Lentils. They help prevent insulin spikes that cause your body to create excess fat, especially in the abdominal area.
- Berries. They are low in calories and high in antioxidants and fiber.
- Greek Yogurt. An excellent source of protein and calcium, which is known to slow the production of the stress hormone cortisol, which triggers your body to retain fat rather than use it for fuel.
- Pears. These are high in fiber, especially pectin fiber, which can help decrease blood sugar.
- Oats. They have up to 5 grams of fiber per serving, so they help keep you feeling full for longer.
- Broccoli. These and other cruciferous vegetables are high in fiber with less than 30 calories per serving.
- Cabbage. This is an easy way to add bulk and filling fiber to salads and soups, cabbage can help you feel full.
- Quinoa. This seed contains all the essential amino acids needed to boost your metabolism.
- Apples. People who ate an apple before a meal ate fewer calories overall than those who had a different snack. Also, the antioxidants in apples may help prevent metabolic syndrome.
- Kale. One raw chopped cup contains 34 calories and 1.3 grams of fiber, as well as a heart healthy helping of iron and calcium.