by Rene’ Carpenter
I love this recipe, I first had it when I lived in Waxahachie, Texas and every summer since it has been a staple in my fridge. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 Tablespoons of fat free Italian dressing
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 10 oz.)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas
- 1 can (11 oz.) corn kernels
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Braggs Amino soy (salt substitute) (you can purchase at any health food store and I think Meijers has it as well)
1. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, salad dressing, garlic, and pepper. Peel, pit, and cut avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
2. Drain and rinse peas and corn. Add peas, corn, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes to avocado; mix gently to coat. Add soy to taste. Serve pea mixture with chips as an appetizer or side dish with fish or meat. You will probably want to double or triple this recipe because it won’t last long!
* YIELD: Makes 10 to 12 servings