You can protect yourself from the outside but you can also protect yourself with certain foods that help strengthen your skin against the harmful rays of the sun.
Here are some sun-protective foods to start eating this summer:
• Tomatoes and tomato-based products are a source of an antioxidant called lycopene, which has been proven to provide protection against UV-radiation.
• Carrots – with their high levels of beta carotene, help protect your skin and body from UV rays
• Sweet Potatoes – just like carrots, they have high levels of skin-protecting beta carotene
• Dark green vegetables – which are loaded with antioxidants and they have an ability to neutralize free radicals. Romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, collard green, bok choy, mustard greens, dandelion greens
• Watermelon – eating red foods (like tomatoes and watermelon) can keep you from turning red and burning in the sunshine. Watermelon is loaded with lycopene, just like tomato products
• Citrus fruits, strawberries and kiwi – are all loaded with Vitamin C which is great for helping neutralize free radicals that your body produces in response to damage caused by exposure to sunlight
• Almonds and sunflower seeds – are loaded with Vitamin E which is an antioxidant that protects your skin against free radical damage caused by the sun
• Dark Chocolate – contains antioxidants called flavonoids, which help protect the body from sun damage. But, make sure it’s 65% or higher cocoa content and enjoy only 1 ounce a day. (Yes, please!)
Maria Hicks|wellness coach
Kapnick Insurance Group|Strength. Knowledge. Direction.
1201 Briarwood Circle | Ann Arbor, MI 48108 |www.kapnick.com
D 734.929.6591 | F 734.994.7326 | P 888.263.4656 x1183