So, what are some great ways to stay active and fit…even in the cold, dark days of winter?
Here are some of my favorite tips:
- Get up and workout first thing in the morning. Go to the gym. Do a DVD in your living room. Jump on a mini trampoline. Do something right away to get your energy levels soaring in the morning and jumpstart those “feel-good” hormones!
- Simply ADD MORE ACTIVITY into each day. Stand more. Walk more. Do some squats throughout the day. Stretch. Take stairs, whenever possible. Take a brisk walk at lunch (when it’s still light outside).
- Join a sports team or class in the evenings. In the winter… there are a lot of group fitness classes, yoga, sporting games, and leagues to join. Play basketball or soccer on an evening during the week. Take a 7:00pm yoga class at a gym or community recreation class.
- Since it gets dark earlier… go to bed earlier to get a good night’s sleep and make a point to wake up a little early to exercise!
- Get the kids active too! Sign them up for sports, have a dance party at home, have a family challenge – jumping jacks, push-ups, etc. Have fun with fitness!