September is “Fruit & Veggies – More Matters Month”
In celebration of such a fantastic theme for September, I will focus a few blog posts on veggies and fruits.
This week, I want to talk about vegetables! Oh, the wonder of veggies. Loaded with antioxidants, fiber, vitamins & minerals. They give us nutrients we need and help us live a healthier and more vibrant life! Here are 12 to try this month.
1. Broccoli and cauliflower: loaded with anti-cancer properties and fiber. Eat them raw or cooked, in a salad or even a slaw.
2. Carrots: Sweet, crunchy, good for your teeth, eyes and heart! Perfect raw (as a snack or salad) or cooked in a stew.
3. Peppers: Green, red, yellow, orange or even purple! Enjoy peppers in a salad, stir-fry, or casserole or as a snack.
4. Spinach: A salad of baby spinach leaves with pears or apples can turn anyone into a real spinach lover.
5. Onions: A zesty onion family (scallions, leeks and garlic) have some powerful antioxidant nutrients.
6. Peas: Fresh, frozen or even canned, peas are a treat to eat and you can find them dried and eat like a crunchy snack or top on salads (instead of croutons)
7. Beets: The deeper the color, the better! Eat them raw or grilled or lightly steamed in the microwave.
8. Sweet potatoes and yams: Switch the color of your usual baked potato and you’ll get a lot more nutrients, along with great taste.
9. Mushrooms: Just a mushroom or two adds a rich flavor to a casserole, soup, stew, stir- fry or even a tossed green salad.
10. Leaf and romaine lettuce: Better than iceberg lettuce. Crunchy and perfect for lettuce wraps or salads.
11. Green, yellow or purple beans: Like their pea “cousins”, beans offer some fiber and a little bit of protein, along with vitamins and minerals.
12. Tomatoes: Cooking increases the availability of some tomato nutrients, so enjoy canned sauce, paste and chunks.
Maria Hicks | wellness coach
Kapnick Insurance Group | Strength. Knowledge. Direction.
1201 Briarwood Circle | Ann Arbor, MI 48108 | www.kapnick.com
D 734.929.6591 | F 734.994.7326 | P 888.263.4656 x1183